Who was Bishop Carpenter?
As far as we know, we are the only Bishop Carpenter School in the world, but who was the eponymous bishop?
Bishop Harry Carpenter (1901 - 1993) was the 37th Bishop of Oxford from 1955 to 1970. Prior to this, he was warden of Keble College, Oxford.
One of his most notable achievements was to initiate the ecumenical discussions which eventually resulted in the building of the Church of Christ the Cornerstone in Milton Keynes.
As far as we know, he didn't have any connections to the village of North Newington.
Interestingly, there was a previous Bishop Carpenter who trod a similar path to Bishop Harry. John Carpenter was Provost of Oriel College, Oxford from 1428 to 1444, and Chancellor of the University of Oxford in 1437 and was consecrated as Bishop of Worcester on 22 March 1444.
Our school badge is not the emblem of either of these bishops, but is that of William of Wickham, whose descendants are Lord & Lady Saye and Sele of Broughton Castle.